Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Marx in Soho

Marx in Soho
Steve gave this book to me, either this Xmas or last, and I have been a little daunted by it's apparent high intellectual requirements. However, I think it was wonderful and not nearly as dense as I feared. It was really good. It is a one man play, penned as though Marx had been "sent back" and given the opportunity to address some of the criticisms launched at him by various critics. It also afforded him the opportunity to scoff at those who equated his beliefs with those of Communist Russia and to decry the notion of the "death" of his ideas. It was very well written. I am anxious to enjoy some more Howard Zinn, having read this one. I also would like to see Jack or Jay, Jack's Neo-Doppleganger perform this at the Neo Futurama on my next trip to Chi-Town. I highly reccommend this and I am now anxious to read both more Marx and more Zinn. Thanks again for the book, bro.
Winner of the 2000 Independent Publisher Award for best visionary fiction.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I had forgotten that I gave this book to you. Haven't read it myself. Sounds like I'd enjoy it, though. Glad you did. I'll be on the lookout for more reader-friendly Marxism to recommend you.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any Marx and have a bias against him, even though I know very little about him. Sorry for my prejudice.

ervierto said...

Mom, despite your prejudices, I suggest you read this one. It is short and it talks a little about how misunderstood Marx is. I suspect that you would find that Marx's ideas, as opposed to the ideas Marx is purported to have, are good ones.